CentOS Stream is a reliable and robust Linux distribution built on the open-source foundation of CentOS. With CentOS Stream, you can enjoy the stability of CentOS while receiving fast and continuous software updates. This ensures that your system stays up to date with the latest versions and critical bug fixes.
In this guide, we will explore how to install CentOS Stream on VMware, a powerful virtualization software that allows you to create and manage virtual machines on your computer environment. Using VMware for the CentOS Stream distribution enables you to safely test and deploy this operating system conveniently.
We will walk through the steps of downloading the CentOS Stream ISO file, creating a virtual machine on VMware, and installing the CentOS Stream operating system. You will have the opportunity to explore the features of CentOS Stream and experience this new and powerful working environment.
- How to Install Android on VMware Workstation
- How to Install Ubuntu 23 (Lunar Lobster) Desktop on VMware Workstation
- How to Install Windows Server 2022 on VMware Workstation
- How to Install Windows 11 on VMware Workstation 17
- How to Install VMware vSphere (ESXi) 8/7/6 on VMware Workstation
Step 1 – Prepare
-  Download CentOS Stream 8/9 ISO image from the official website here
-  VMware Workstation has been installed.
Step 2 – Create a new Virtual Machine for CentOS Stream
Open the VMware Workstation by right-click on VMware icon – select Run as administrator
From the menu, select File – select New Virtual Machine…
Select Typical and click Next in the Welcome to the New Virtual Machine Wizard window.
Select I will install the operating system later and click Next in the Guest Operating System Installation window.
In the Select a Guest Operating System window, select as shown below:
- Guest operating system: Linux
- Version: CentOS 8 64-bit
and then click Next
Set Name and Location for your virtual machine and click Next in the Name the Virtual Machine window.
Set the disk capacity to be greater than or equal to 20GB and click Next in the Specify Disk Capacity window.
In the Ready to Create Virtual Machine window, click on Customize Hardware…button
In the Hardware window, configure the settings as shown below.
- Memory (RAM): greater than or equal to 2 GB
- New CD/DVD (IDE):
- In the Device status section check to Connect at power on option.
- In the Connection section check to Use ISO image file and select CentOS Stream iso image that you downloaded in Step 1
- Network Adapter: Choose NAT or another virtual network with internet connectivity.
and then click Close
Come back to Ready to Create Virtual Machine window, and click on the Finish button.
Step 3 – Install CentOS Stream 8/9 on VMware Workstation
Now, click on the Power on this virtual machine button to start the system
On the boot screen, select Install CentOS Stream 8/9 and press Enter
In the Welcome to Centos Stream 9 window, select the language you want to install and click Continue
In the INSTALLATION SUMMARY section, configure the following settings as follows:
- Click on the SYSTEM section, keep default in the INSTALLATION DESTINATION window, and click Done
- Click on the Software Selection section, select the version you want to install, and click Done ( In this example, I choose Server with GUI version )
- Click on the Network & Host Name section, in the NETWORK & HOSTNAME window, enable network connection and set the hostname, then press Done.
- Click on the Root Password section – in the ROOT PASSWORD window, set a strong password for ROOT user and then click Done
Finally, set up Keyboard, Language Support, Date & Time and then press Begin Installation to proceed with the installation.
Please wait a few minutes for the installation process to complete…
After completion, press Reboot System to restart the system.
Step 4 – Initial Setup
After the system has finished booting, it will take you to the desktop screen. Please follow the steps below to complete the setup.
Click Next on the Privacy windows to the next step.
Click Skip to the next step.
Create an account for yourself and click Next
Set a strong password for your account and click Next
Everything is done. Click on Start Using CentOS Stream to start using and experiencing CentOS Stream
That’s it! You have successfully installed CentOS Stream on VMware Workstation. If you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to ask. Enjoy using CentOS Stream!
Thank you for reading !!!